Neck pain is not a pleasant experience, but it’s rarely something that lasts. Most neck pain lasts only a few weeks. There are things you can do to ease and relieve neck pain. If these neck pain relief solutions don’t work, then it would be wise to go to see your doctor for more advice and to seek out a permanent solution if possible.
How Can You Get Neck Pain Relief Yourself
- Take paracetamol or ibuprofen, or use an ibuprofen based gel to rub onto your neck
- Be sure to use a low, firm pillow
- Use heat or cold packs on your neck
- You can try neck exercises. Here are some recommended ones for you – Click here
- Wear a neck collar or brace. It’s always better to keep your neck moving, unless of course the doctor tells you otherwise.
- Do anything dangerous. For example, if you can’t move your neck, it’s not a good idea to drive or cycle
If your need is great and you don’t have any heat or cold packs, you can try these:
- Wrap a pack of frozen vegetables, like peas, in a tea towel and place on your neck 3 times a day for 5 minutes
- Wrap a hot water bottle in a tea towel and place on your neck for 20 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day
Get to the pharmacy and buy the heat or cold packs so you have a remedy for when your out and about.
If the pain or stiffness doesn’t go away after a few weeks, or the paracetamol / ibuprofen doesn’t work, you’re worried about the pain or you have other symptoms like pins and needles or a cold arm (this could point to something more serious) be sure to visit your doctor.
What Can Cause Neck Pain?
Some of the most common causes of neck pain are:
- Sleeping in an awkward position, which causes the neck to “lock”
- Bad posture – for example sitting for a long time at a desk
- A pinched nerve
- An injury caused from an accident or fall – for example, whiplash
How To Prevent Neck Pain
- Make sure your head is the same height as your body when sleeping
- Have a firm mattress
- Sit upright, roll your shoulders back gently and bring back your neck
- Keep your neck in the same position for long periods, such as when sitting at your desk
- Sleep on you front
- Twist your neck while in bed
We hope these simple tips help you to get the relief you need and give you the neck pain relief you want or prevention of that neck pain if at all possible.